I’ve done some upgrading in the past year and it’s making a big difference. For a start I now have 2 alternative spaces to record in; the original dry space and now a bigger acoustic room. We spent a bit of time setting this up with sound proofing, absorption and diffusing. I got POB from pobaudio to spec it for me. Now I get different acoustic charateristics from the 2 rooms and that helps me build up samples.
I’m also using a new mic – an SE Gemini (combined with the Rode NTK). Sometimes hire in a Neumann U87 too. The combination of mics makes a big difference and I’m recording every performance with at least 2 mics which helps achieve the randomness of an ensemble sound.
Blogged with Flock